Harley Davidson Breakout Chopper
Harley-Davidson has released several new models to further increase its range of American-made motorcycles. The Breakout is a new member to the Softail family and is styled in a long and low-slung chopper-style accentuated by a black and chrome 103ci (1690cc) engine, 240-section rear tyre and thick, long forks.
The new model has a distinctive finish from specific components not available on other Harley-Davidson motorcycles. Chopped fenders, a shaved tank console and drag-style handlebar keeps the profile low. The Gasser wheels are new and specific to the Breakout. Based on Gasser-style style drag racing wheels from the 1960s and ’70s, both wheels feature 10 half-round spokes with alternating spokes machined to remove the black covering paint and match the unpainted rim.
Talking about the new Breakout, Harley-Davidson Styling Manager Kirk Rasmussen said: “With Breakout, we got down to motorcycle essentials, which means emphasising the powertrain and the wheels. The black and chrome engine visually pops out of the centre of the bike, and then to maximise the impact of the tyres, the fenders are chopped. We wanted a lot of rubber showing to give the Breakout a tough, muscular look.”
The Breakout’s Softail chassis mimics the lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilises rear suspension provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails. The chopper is fitted with ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) as standard equipment along with a Harley-Davidson factory-installed security system.
Key design features:
• Twin Cam 103B engine of 103ci (1690cc), counter-balanced and rigid-mounted within the frame. Torque output is rated at 95.9ftlb @ 3000rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), and Automatic Compression Release (ACR), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission.
• Oval air cleaner.
• Two-tone dual Shorty exhaust.
• The powertrain is finished in black powdercoat with chrome covers and gloss-black shields over chrome dual-staggered mufflers.
• Gasser-style 10-spoke cast aluminum wheels are finished in gloss-black powdercoat with machined highlights; 8 x 18-inch rear and 3.5 x 21-inch front.
• Floating front and rear brake rotors have gloss-black carriers.
• Front and rear fenders are chopped. The front fender location and bracket are specific to the Breakout. The rear fender is shaped and positioned to fit close to the 240mm-section tyre. One-piece forged aluminum rear fender supports are highly polished.
• The front end spreads 49mm forks approximately 1.75-inches (45mm approx) wider than previous FX Softail models to allow fitment of a 130mm front tyre. The fork lowers and headlight bucket are finished in gloss black.
• New Single-Rib Cast Aluminum Oil Tank is finished in gloss black.
• A 18.9 litre fuel tank is topped with a black moulded-leather strip and a low-profile chrome cover.
• The new two-piece seat features a passenger pillion that may be removed without tools for solo riding and to fully expose the rear fender. Unladen seat height is 660mm.
• An all-new wide drag-style handlebar is finished in gloss black. The speedometer is mounted on the chrome pull-back handlebar riser.
• Discreet low centre-mount license plate and combination stop/tail/turn lights leave the wide rear fender uncluttered.
• The glass-filled fuel tank medallions and graphics are exclusive to the Breakout.
Seat height unladen: 660mm
Rake (steering head) 35°
Front tyre: 130/60 x 21
Rear tyre: 240/40 x 18